About the Master’s Course
There are three types of entrance examinations for this school's master’s program: a recommendation examination for the two-year master`s program, a general entrance examination and an entrance examination for the one-year master’s program ICPWE( Intensive Course for People with Work Experience). In the master’s program (years one and two), the first year students will develop knowledge and skills through courses that will form the basis of their research, as well as becoming more adaptable through project courses.
In the second year, each student will focus on their master’s research, which will culminate into a final project in addition to the thesis or solely the thesis, with the aim of obtaining a master's degree. The intensive course for people with work experience is a course in which the normally two-year master’s program is condensed into a one year curriculum, based on the assumption that the students engaged in groundbreaking research or development and have made achievements in their careers or in the creation of artistic or technological works.
For the general entrance examination and the ICPWE, applicants who do not have a bachelor's degree can still take the entrance examination if their qualifications were approved in the prior evaluation.
In addition, we have a “research student system” for those who wish to conduct research on a specific course of study.
Based on the founding principles of the Institute of Advanced Media Arts and Sciences, we aim to nurture people who can respond to various issues of modern society by imparting a high level of ability to create new culture.
- Are interested in exploring other fields of study while utilizing knowledge of their own area of expertise.
- Are willing to creatively pioneer new ways of being an information society.
- Are willing to think about new relationships with people and society, and create the next generation of industry.
- Aim to create a new culture through various from of artistic creation.
- Will give a new form to information and communication, and make contributions to the community to help realize a more enriched society.
Second-year students course
First-year students course
About the Doctoral Course
For those who want to further develop their research beyond the master’s program, there is a three-year doctoral program.
In the first year, students will cultivate their skills to go from seeing their research on their individual topics in isolation to being able to see things and act from an international and academic perspective, as well as learning research methodologies for media creation. Students will plan and implement projects that are connected to society while conducting research. In the second year, students will continue their research on their thesis and projects based on their research plans, as well as summarizing their research results for the “Doctoral Dissertation Preliminary Review“. In the third year, students submit their doctoral dissertations after passing the “Doctoral Dissertation Preliminary Review” in the second semester.
We aim to nurture leaders of academic research in media expression, based on an interest in knowledge and technology in other fields than one's own. Along with the abilities to communicate and collaborate with people in diverse fields and to compile their ideas and create interdisciplinary works of art.
- Those who will attempt to utilize knowledge from their area of expertise to cross over into other fields, while continuing to explore theories and the systematization of media expression.
- Those who aim to create a new culture through various forms of artistic expression and show new values to society.
- Those who are willing to take on the theoretical and systematizing role of a media expressionist, while aiming for the realization of an enriched society by proposing novel forms of information and communication to the community and world.